Summary: Raymond is a retired Fleet Master Chief of U.S. Navy Europe and Africa who served a 33-year military career. He has served at the highest levels of enlisted leadership for the U.S. Navy and has led, served, and mentored thousands of young sailors. Raymond specializes in topics including leadership, diversity and inclusion, and resilience building.
Why would a prospective client want you to be their keynote speaker or to support their speaking event? What are some compelling aspects of your background/career/experience that we should know about?
I completed a dynamic 33-year military career as the senior enlisted African American in the US Navy, the first to be selected as Fleet Master Chief of Europe and Africa. Starting at the lowest rank, successfully traversing all enlisted levels. I applied leadership skills in each position and led efforts to galvanize extremely diverse groups, empowering them to work as successful, cohesive teams unified for our shared mission. Leading the way during significant policy changes ranging from women serving aboard combatant ships to the repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” treating people with dignity and respect while showing what right looks like along the way. Led the effort that conceptualized and revolutionized naval leadership education by creating the seminal document, “Laying the Keel,” emphasizing character and professional competency; over 30,000 senior enlisted trainees were impacted immediately by this training document. Speaking to NATO allies, Prime Ministers of partner nations, and explaining the “Why” to a young Sailor and their family, I understand the level of care expressed to the person makes the communication actionable. This technique has no boundaries, applies to service members and other professional organizations with a diverse workforce.
What are your primary topics/areas of expertise? Some examples may include: Conflict resolution, International Relations, Leadership, Diversity and Inclusion, Cybersecurity, as well as specific countries or geographical regions.
Topics include Leadership, Diversity and Inclusion and Resilience Building. I also comfortable in all regions of the United States and have relationships military leaders in Ghana, Finland, and Sweden.
What are some positions you have held in your career that you would like prospective clients to know about?
- Naval Inspector General for Sailor Programs. Responsible for facilitating smalls groups around the Navy, assessing their understanding of programs in place for quality of life and quality of work-life for Sailors and civilians, shifting the image of the IG from a black-hat enforcing organization to a white-hat supporting teammate.
- Command Master Chief of a US Navy aircraft carrier. Excelled while leading an inexperienced ethnically and socially diverse crew into a combat deployment cycle while transitioning from “don’t ask, don’t tell” into openly serving LGB servicemembers. Walking the talk.
- Fleet Master Chief, US Navy Europe, and Africa. Selected to serve at the highest level of leadership within the Navy, seated at the table with an expectation of speaking and participating with Secretary of the Navy, Prime Ministers of nations, and often as the first Black person in that capacity.
What are some speaking events you’ve supported recently?
- Freedom Friday, Solvability Podcast. GOVCON Summit preparation and the value of veterans when it comes to building resilience, loyalty and competency in organizations.
- MLK Holiday Recognition. Naval Support Command in Jacksonville, Florida
- MLK Holiday and Black Lives Matter. WVOX Radio Station, NY.
- Veterans Day Recognition, Bethlehem Star Baptist Church, OKC, OK.
- WARRIORS JOURNEY SUMMIT, Veterans coping with PTSD and their family members.
- BD Medical, Lunch and Learn event discussing unity within diverse teams.
Do you have any articles or publications? Have you been featured in any? If so, what were they?
Below articles were printed in VIVYD Magazine:
- 02.05.21 THE TIME IS NOW
- 01.11.21 PERSEVERANCE ABOVE PERSISTENCE
- 12.17.20 LIVING YOUR BEST LIFE
- 10.27.20 THREE PART HARMONY
- 09.03.20 WITH YOUR LIPS YOU CAN CHANGE THE WORLD
- 07.07.20 #BLACKLIVESMATTER
- OPED for VoteVets.org posted in Medium.Com –
- 09.29.20 Vets Know Better: Trump is the Ultimate ‘Blue Falcon’: A Presidency of Promises Not Kept