Summary: Joined the Marine Corps as a Private – reached the rank of Staff Sergeant – then commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant – retired as a Major; Graduated High School with a GPA of 1.73 – ultimately received a Masters Degree and then my Ph.D.; Retired from my military career – then started my current journey as a successful business owner.
Why would a prospective client want you to be their keynote speaker or to support their speaking event? What are some compelling aspects of your background/career/experience that we should know about?
As an executive leadership practitioner, scholar, professor, coach, and consultant for government and commercial organizations across the globe. As the founding owner, J.R. has served as Flatter, Inc.’s Chairman since its beginning in 2002. In this position, he leads Flatter’s global operations from the front – visiting each program personally to ensure his teams are motivated and performing up to Flatter’s standards of excellence. Concurrently, as Flatter’s Chief Learning Officer, J.R. oversees all leadership development and coaching projects and programs. J.R. complements his leadership skills, business experience, and analytical acumen with a strong educational background that includes a Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration from the University of Washington – with a concentration in Organizational Design, a Master of Science in Management from the Naval Postgraduate School – with a concentration in Multi-Variate Regression Analysis, and a Ph.D. in Public Administration from The George Washington University – with a concentration in Leadership Development.
What are your primary topics/areas of expertise? Some examples may include: Conflict resolution, International Relations, Leadership, Diversity and Inclusion, Cybersecurity, as well as specific countries or geographical regions.
- Conflict Resolution
- International Relations
- Leadership – Development & Coaching
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Identifying/Achieving Lifetime/Personal Goals
- Culture Development
What are some positions you have held in your career that you would like prospective clients to know about?
- CEO of Flatter, Inc. – led our global business from the front for over 15 years – across all aspects of government contracting.
- Chairman of the Fredericksburg Regional Changer of Commerce – Chair of a 1,000-business regional Chamber of Commerce.
- United States Marine Corps Drill Instructor – transformed raw recruits into United States Marines – employing tried and tested leadership development methodologies.
- Chief Learning Officer of Two Roads Leadership – a Division of Flatter, Inc. – focused on Developing Leaders, Coaches, and Cultures – developed through our leadership scholarship, methods, and experiences.
What are some speaking events you’ve supported recently?
- Fredericksburg Regional Changer of Commerce “Leadership Summit” – Provided a Keynote Address on “Work-Family-Self Balance in the 22nd Year of the 21st Century” to leaders from our regional CoC
- Ambulance Leadership Foundation – Provided a Keynote Address to Emergency Responder leaders from around the country on “Building Your House of Leadership” which included 12 steps to identifying and achieving their lifetime personal and professional goals and objectives.
- 2RL-125 Coach Certification Seminar: Facilitating content delivery for a 42-week course with a global audience of Coach candidates within our 125-hour International Coaching Federation approved Coach Certification program.
Do you have any articles or publications? Have you been featured in any? If so, what were they?
- Author of “Courageous Leadership” (Amazon, 2018) – a book which details my philosophy of identifying and achieving lifetime personal and professional goals and objectives.
- Author of Developing Leaders for the Future: A Courageous Leadership Framework; The Journal of Character and Leadership Development (Summer 2021); United States Air Force Academy.