Summary: Command Chief Master Sergeant (Retired) Gregory A Smith is the Chief Executive Officer of TIGRE Global Solutions Inc. focused on specific areas of consulting. Smith started his military career with the United States Air Force in 1990 as an aircraft armament systems specialist and completed multiple deployments to the pacific theater. Later on, Smith was selected for special duty as an AC-130H/U Aerial Gunner in 1996. He served as Lead, Instructor, and Evaluator Gunner with the 4th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Florida. He also served as the superintendent of Wing Strategic Plans with the 16th Special Operations Wing. In September 2001, Greg was part of the first team to deploy following the terror attacks on 9/11. He established the first forward operating base and then deployed to Pakistan where he established a joint interagency forward operating location.
In 2009, Smith became the first course director and chief of academics for the Joint Special Operations Forces Senior Enlisted Academy (JSOFSEA).In January 2012, Smith was selected for Command Chief Master Sergeant for the 58th Special Operations Wing where he oversaw the training and readiness for special operations and combat rescue personnel. Smith was selected as the Command Senior Enlisted Leader for Special Operations Command Europe (SOCEUR) in 2013. While at SOCEUR, he led special operations forces through multiple contingencies in Ukraine, Turkey, and operations in Syria.
In 2015, Smith became the Command Senior Enlisted Leader for NATO Special Operations Headquarters (NSHQ). In this role, he synchronized Allied Special Operations Forces for employment in support of NATO missions across the globe. From 2016 to 2019, Smith served as the Command Chief Master Sergeant, Air Force Special Operations Command. His last assignment was as Command Senior Enlisted Leader for United States Special Operations Command.
Smith has deployed multiple times throughout his career, supporting operations in the Balkans, Iraq, Afghanistan, and Africa. He has flown more than 3500 hours in the AC-130H/U/J, HH-60H, and various aircraft, including 1400 combat hours. He has completed all professional military education, the Summit Course, and the Keystone Course at the National Defense University. Greg’s awards and decorations include the Air Force Distinguished Service Medal, the Defense Superior Service Medal, Legion of Merit, Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster, Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters, Air Medal w/Valor with nine oak leaf clusters, Joint Service Commendation Medal, Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters, Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters, Army Commendation Medal, Joint Service Achievement Medal, Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters, Combat Action Medal, Polish Medal with Gold Bar, Lithuanian Armed Forces Medal for Special Operations, and the NATO Medal for Yugoslavia.
Why would a prospective client want you to be their keynote speaker or to support their speaking event? What are some compelling aspects of your background/career/experience that we should know about?
- I have held a variety of operational and senior leadership positions across United States Special Operations Command. From being on the first SOF team to deploy following the 9/11 attacks to my final assignment as the Command Senior Enlisted Leader of USSOCOM, I have spoken extensively on the challenges and leadership aspects of special operations, the USAF, resiliency, counterterrorism, and international partnerships.
- I was the Command Senior Enlisted Leader in Syria and Ukraine in 2014 and have an incredibly close understanding of international partnerships, Alliances, NATO, and SOF.
- I continue to lecture at Joint Special Operations University on strategy, leadership, and command. These talks are often modified for business CEOs and leadership teams.
What are your primary topics/areas of expertise? Some examples may include: Conflict resolution, International Relations, Leadership, Diversity and Inclusion, Cybersecurity, as well as specific countries or geographical regions.
- My specialty is in National Security topics such as China, Russia, and Violent Extremism. I discuss the economic and geopolitical backgrounds of these challenges in all venues from unclassified to TOP SECRET/SCI.
- I teach Strategic Theory and reference leaders such as Clausewitz, Galula, Mao, Che, Lawrence, and others. I have an extensive background in speaking and/or lecturing on these topics and modify them to a specific audience. I leverage several models that I’ve developed to apply them to college students, business professionals, military and civic leaders, Congress, and professional sports teams.
What are some positions you have held in your career that you would like prospective clients to know about?
- AC-130H/U Aerial Gunner: 3500 flight hours and 1400 combat hours with 14 deployments to Balkans, Somalia, Iraq, Afghanistan. Recipient of 10 Air Medals (one with Valor for Heroism)
- NATO Special Operations Headquarters: Led then 28-member Alliance through operations in Ukraine, Afghanistan, Syria
- USSOCOM Command Senior Enlisted Leader: Led 72,000 SOF teammates through global operations in support of National Security objectives
What are some speaking events you’ve supported recently?
- Served as Board Member and Moderator for Panel on Irregular Warfare with Congressman Ruben Gallego (D-AZ), Joint Staff leaders, and Dr Seth Jones author of Three Dangerous Men and In the Graveyard of Empires
- Guest Speaker/Lecturer for 20 CMSgt Leadership Academy courses
- Guest Speaker at AF SNCOA class on National Security
- Lectured at MIT Sloan Business School on National Security
- Lectured at Joint Special Operation University on Command, Leadership, Ethics, and National Security
Do you have any articles or publications? Have you been featured in any? If so, what were they?
- Published four papers on Terrorism (Bali Paradox: A Study on Jemaah Islamiyah, A Tangled Web of Taliban, Al Qaeda in the Lands of the Islamic Maghreb, and Hamas Case Study)
- Hosted official SOFCAST-the Official Podcast of USSOCOM
- Google: “Greg Smith-Special Operations” for multiple videos available
- I operated SOFCAST, the official podcast of USSOCOM for 50 episodes. They can be heard on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker, etc.