Summary: Dr. Kantrovich enlisted in the United States Navy in 1981, retiring after nearly 23 years of service in October 2003. He served aboard 6 surface combatants as a Gunners Mate and Command Master Chief. Tours included Assistant Director at Gunners Mate “A” School, Gunners Mate Lead Detailer, Commissioning Command Master Chief in USS DONALD COOK (DDG 75), COMINEWARCOM Force Master Chief and CNO Directed Command Master Chief for BUPERS/Navy Personnel Command. He retired as Deputy and EA to the Tenth Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy. Since retiring from the Navy, Dr. Kantrovich has worked as a Business Development, Human Systems Integration and Learning/Organizational Development consultant supporting Navy, Coast Guard and other DoD organizations, corporations, local governments and a bevy of online and traditional colleges and universities throughout the country. Harry has also served as the City of Alexandria’s Chief Learning Officer. Dr. Kantrovich stays active as an Education Advisor for the Fleet Reserve Association and a member of the Surface Navy Association’s Executive Committee. He is an inductee in the Chief Learning Officer Hall of Fame and was the inaugural Artistic Director for a local theatre group. Dr. Kantrovich resides in Woodbridge, VA with his wife Corinne (Cory). They have one daughter, Andrea, who resides in Hillsborough, NJ.
Why would a prospective client want you to be their keynote speaker or to support their speaking event? In other words, what are the most compelling aspects of your background/career/experience that we should know about?
I am a “Renaissance Man” by many. This is due to my experience as a retired US Navy Sailor and Command Master Chief, first enlisted in the Navy with a doctorate degree, Chief Learning Officer, Business Consultant, Actor/Director, Playwright and Musician.
What are your primary topics/areas of expertise? Some examples may include: Conflict resolution, International Relations, Leadership, Diversity and Inclusion, Cybersecurity, as well as specific countries or geographical regions.
- Ethics, Higher Education,
- Learning Management,
- Personal and Professional Development,
- Recognizing High Potential Candidates,
- Theatre (Acting & Directing), Music, US Navy.
What are some positions you have held in your career that you would like prospective clients to know about?
- Deputy to Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (MCPON): Represented the MCPON at Government and Civic Events. Researched, analyzed, prepared, and presented Congressional testimony concerning quality of life issues to include; education, housing, pay, diversity, retention, and retirement, as well as formally answering Congressional and White House inquiries. Appointee to numerous Navy and DoD related strategy and policy committees.
- Force Master Chief Bureau of Navy Personnel: Executive Advisor to a Vice Admiral (3 star) and Rear Admiral (2 star). Provided leadership and creativity in revising and strengthening Manpower, Personnel, Training & Education programs and policies for both officer and enlisted, while overseeing multiple subordinate activities with more than 15,000 military and civilian staff. Expert advisor on Sailor and joint leadership training and development. Responsible for the development and implementation of Navy wide employee engagement to improve work environments and retention. Oversight of all education programs to include Navy College, DANTES/SOC and Tuition Assistance, as well as Navy Recruiting, manpower, personnel distribution, performance reviews, advancement, diversity, and retirement programs. Congressional liaison for all matters pertaining to Navy enlisted members of the Navy that fell under the cognizance of the Bureau of Naval Personnel or Navy Personnel Command.
- Chief Learning Officer, City of Alexandria, VA: Drove the training, education, assessment and development initiatives for the City’s 3000 employees. Formulated the learning strategy, direction and goals to be in alignment with the City’s vision, strategy and goals. Evaluated instructor performance for both vendors and internal instructors and worked with City leaders to identify needs and develop or source programs to fit those needs. Revamped the entire higher education partnership program, implemented e-learning across the City, a Senior Executive Leadership Program, a Senior Management Group Leadership Network speaker series, Supervisors and Managers Academy, a Citywide mentoring program, and is laid groundwork for a Leadership and Management Institute for Emerging Leaders, High Potentials and High Performers.
- Consultant: Assist leadership at higher learning organizations in driving their overall growth through corporate and government engagement, recruitment, admissions, business and partnership development and formulation of organizational strategies and visions. Collaborated with business, military and government on continuing education, training and leadership needs, helping to expand their capabilities. He has interacted with Navy leadership in building a Learning Continuum in support of the Ready Relevant Learning program.
What are some speaking events you’ve supported recently?
- Chief Learning Officer Forum, New York City: Keynote on Identifying Future Leaders to Chief Learning Officers from across the world.
- International Public Management Association for Human Resources (IPMA-HR): Spoke to membership across Virginia on Personal and Professional Development and Identifying High Potentials.
- Chief Petty Officer Promotion and Pinning Ceremonies, Washington, DC, Millington, TN, Great Lakes, IL: Spoke to new Chief Petty Officers, Families and Commands on responsibilities, leadership and ethics of be a Chief Petty Officer.
- Patriot Day: Spoke to numerous religious, community and veteran organizations about the meaning of Patriot Day.
Do you have any articles or publications? Have you been featured in any? If so, what were they?
- TOP DOWN FUNCTIONAL ANALYSIS FOR LITTORAL COMBAT SHIPS SURFACE WARFARE MODULE (2006; CO-AUTHORED)
- TOP DOWN REQUIREMENTS ANALYSIS FOR LITTORAL COMBAT SHIPS FLIGHT 0 (2004) AND FLIGHT 1 (2005; CO-AUTHORED)
- THE RELATIONSHIP OF PREDICTED SUCCESS TO ULTIMATE ACHIEVEMENT AT SELECTED UNITED STATES NAVY TECHNICAL SCHOOLS (DOCTORAL DISSERTATION FOR CALIFORNIA COAST UNIVERSITY; 1992)
- THE RELATIONSHIP OF THE ARMED SERVICES VOCATIONAL APTITUDE BATTERY TO SUCCESS AT GUNNER’S MATE CLASS “A” SCHOOL (MASTERS THESIS FOR SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY-CARBONDALE; 1988)